TORSTEN SOLIN

  •                                                                                          CATALÀ
  • ENGLISH
  • ESPAÑOL
  • MENU

A familiar stranger

© Torsten Solin


Torsten Solin, photographer, painter and sculptor, was born in Jena, Germany, in 1972. In 1997 he started his studies of painting/fine arts at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Dresden, in which he received classes by German painter Hans Peter Adamski, former member of the Mülheimer Freiheit neoexpressionist artistic group. Since 2004, he lives and works in Berlin where he had his first solo exhibition with the photographic series Dolls in 2007. In 2009 he presented the sculptures Strange Animals in Berlin and the photographic series Mirrorworld  in 2011 again in Berlin. His work has been also exposed in several group exhibitions in Germany, the Netherlands and France. Next 13 May, he will present the series Das album at galerie hiltawsky in Berlin, in which he explores social and gender stereotypes through manipulated images combined with self-portraits.
How would you define “art”?
For me art is a mirror, a surface for subjective reflections and projections on a more irrational, sensual and emotional stage of perception, irrespective and independently of the intention of the artist. It’s a window to see things from another point of view.
Painting, sculpture, photography…how do you decide the technique to use in a new project?
I try out a lot of things and decide while reflecting my intentions and possibilities. These decisions are most of the time simply pragmatic. I came to the conclusion that whatever medium, technique you use, the only thing that matters is the final result you obtain.
You work always with the concept of identity. Could you tell me who is Torsten  Solin really?
Not really. For me he is a familiar stranger behind a broken mirror.
Do you wonder about the self-identity or about the fact that the only we are able to see in the others is own our reflection?
It’s about both. For me they are part of the same family and lead to questions about our perceptions and concepts of reality. It’s about our tunnel vision into the outside and its subjective character.
How important is the subconscious in your work?
Very important. I think it allows cognition and communication on a less intellectual, more emotional, fundamental level.
When one reads the titles of your series, like Broken mirrors or Distorsionen, it is clear the reference to how important is perception in our lives. Do you think the current dictatorship of image in which we live avoid us to experience another kind of perceptions?
I don’t think so. I would say it’s just a question of learning how to distrust the image or learning how to read it.
The inclusion of photography in the mobile phones has taken us to expose an identity always in an excessive and not very honest way. How do you explain this attitude?
I guess it reflects the importance of identity and its challenge in a very fast changing world. Maybe it reflects/identifies superficiality and consume as social ideals/ideas/norms.
Do you believe in the doppelgänger phenomenon? Why is this legend a source of inspiration for you?
I believe that we are - or soon will be - able to make copies of ourselves. So for me it’s less a question of believing in a legend than a question of possibility and consequences. It affects the subconscious. And I see it as a symbol of challenging our common perception and conditions of identity.
In the current exhibition Das album, there is also the concept of memory in which our perception plays a very important role. How is your relation with your past experiences?
It’s a speculative relation. I do not trust them blind. I believe them, but there is no dogma of truth and no final recipe for the right way in it. We need to experience our surrounding world for an orientation in it. We need it to develop our specified, apparently unique, authentic identity and to construct our individual, subjective system of belief (for instance through the find of apparent causal relations). My experiences and memories tell me more about my subjective filters of perception than about something objective „real“ outside me.
Could you explain us a dream you have had while sleeping?
Not really, I was dreaming that I was sleeping while dreaming I was real...



Torsten Solin | Das album
13 May – 2 July 2016 at galerie hiltawsky
Tucholskystrasse 41, 10117 Berlin

An interview by Juan Carlos Romero
Photo by and courtesy of Torsten Solin
All rights reserved